Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Southwestern Succotash

I know its been a while! Sorry to the three or four people who read this. I get lazy about writing but I know its a really good thing for me to do, so I'll be better about the 'ole blogging.

Also, I haven't really been home the last few weeks. I haven't cooked much lately for a number of reasons: my brother was in town (we went to Corner Bistro), have gone to some birthday parties, went to a really snazzy restaurant called Dallas BBQ, and ate at the very notorious Wo Hop with Christian on Sunday...for lunch. Xu, I know I know,  its supposedly better when its 4:00am and you've just had lots of Rioja, but I actually liked it.

Oh! and last night I went to Katz's Deli for the first time in the 11 years I have lived in the city. It was great. Meaty. Real meaty. I also lost the "ticket" they give you when you walk in. Apparently you have to pay $50 when you lose your ticket but we didn't have to. Can someone please explain the relevance of this ticket? It makes absolutely no sense to me.  

But tonight I bought groceries and cooked! I made a dish that my mom used to make all the time when I was little and that my sister has recently resurrected. I decided to make this Southwestern Succotash because its cheap, filling, and tasty. I've changed it up a little from my mom's recipe and from Sarah's recipe. Sarah uses too much garlic powder and doesn't like spicy. I can't comprehend not liking spicy. Spicy takes food to a whole new painful and exhilarating level.  But what I like best about Sarah's version is that she garnishes it with diced avocado and tomato and douses it with even more lime juice. The Martinez girls like their citrus. Just look at our enamel!



MARSHA'S SOUTHWESTERN SUCCOTASH
(adapted from Mama Martinez's recipe)

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 yellow onion diced
1 zucchini diced
1 can sweet corn, drained
2 serrano chiles diced
the juice of half a lime
salt and pepper 
2tbsp olive oil

garnish:
half an avocado, diced
half a tomato, diced

In a medium skillet cook the ground beef just until all the pink is gone. Drain the excess oil and set aside. In a large sauce pan heat olive oil over medium heat and add the onions and serrano chiles.  Cook for about a minute or so or until the onions begin to get tender. Add the zucchini and cover pot with a lid and let cook for about 2 minutes or until zucchini is just tender. Add corn and cooked ground beef and cook until corn is hot.  Add salt and pepper to your liking and douse it all with the lime juice.

I'm not adding a picture of this dish because it is way better to eat than to look at. :) 






1 comment:

Anaxua said...

Anything tastes great after 15 glasses of rioja and the demon weed. Your sucotash sounds great though.