Monday, February 4, 2008

Giada's SO pretty....pretty freakin' awesome!

The meal that I made tonight is one that I've made too many times to count. Whenever I'm in the need of a meal that is clean, satisfying, and really really good, I make Giada's Halibut in Artichoke and Tomato Broth. It never fails. Ever. I could probably eat this 3 times a week, its that good. The funny thing about this recipe though, is that I think I've only made it with halibut just once. You see, Whole Foods in Columbus Circle never seems to carry halibut. And when they do, its usually $19.99 a pound. $19.99 is half of my grocery budget for the week. In any case, I usually buy whatever white fish is available. I've made this with cod about a zillion times and though I like the flavor of cod, its really really crumbly and doesn't hold well. The reason Giada suggests Halibut is because its firm and cooks really nicely. The cod looked...sketchy last week so I opted for some really good looking tilapia. The tilapia held up nicely and tasted great with the broth but its just not hearty enough. Another thing Giada suggests is to grill the fish on a grill pan. I've used my Foreman-esque all purpose grilling machine to do this and I hate the way it comes out. It always sticks to the damn grill and cleaning is a nightmare. So I usually just pan fry it and I think this method makes the dish so much better because you get nice crispy bits. So, for the three people that are reading this blog, I suggest you make this. Tonight. Seriously, its fantastic and easy and you'll find yourself making it over and over again. Thanks, Giada. Your ever-present smile and pale pink manicure aren't the only things that get me to watch your show.

HALIBUT IN ARTICHOKE AND TOMATO BROTH
(Giada De Laurentiis, Food Network)

1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
2 halibut filets (or tilapia or cod, whatever white fish floats your boat)
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning fish
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus moe for seasoning fish
2 shallots, sliced into thin rounds
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound frozen artichokes, thawed ( I used 1 can of artichoke hearts - I can never find frozen ones)
1/2 cup white wine
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves

Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the halibut and season with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Cook the fish on the grill pan until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side, depending on thickness.

In a medium sausepan, heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook for 1 minutes. Add the garlic and aritchokes and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the white wine and stir, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and juice, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.

Ladle the artichoke tomato broth into shallow bowls. Top with the grilled halibut. Serve immediately.

I was starving tonight so I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but here's a picture of me wishing I had more:

1 comment:

daryl said...

is Giada your god?