Saturday, January 26, 2008

Doing It

I was recently on the phone with my oldest sister Sarah lamenting about all the things I usually lament about, to the only person in this world who will simultaneously pat my head and kick my ass when she interrupted me and said, "I'm sorry, but its your diet. You eat like crap. You do, I know you do. If you ate better, you'd feel better". After much more whining and a little yelling I agreed and said I would do better and start eating "clean", as she puts it.

This phone conversation happened to fall upon the same day that I found two really glorious food blogs, and while I know that it may be ironic that I was drooling over a picture of a loaf cake right after I finished talking to Sarah about whole grains and greens, a little light bulb went off in my crazy little head.

The next day I was talking to my friend Leigh about food blogs and I thought to myself, "hmm, maybe I should just start one" and she agreed. And after a little more encouragement from my friend Nadine, " Yeah! It'll combine stuff you like -like food and photography- with stuff you don't like, like writing and focusing on new projects", here I am. Writing a blog. A food blog. The mission is:

1. To cook and eat really healthy delicious foods
2. Make perfectly sized portions for a girl who only needs to cook for herself. I hate wasting food. Also, I really really hate leftovers

This doesn't mean that this blog is going to be recipe after recipe of boring vegetable dishes. While there will be lots of vegetable, protein, and whole grain recipes, I plan on having a "Free Day". This means that one day a week (probably Saturday or Sunday) I will make and consume whatever I want. It could be a lovely pizza with cured meats ( God knows I love my cured meats) or a double chocolate peanut butter fudge cake with chocolate chips. I plan to post pictures of all my meals as well as recipes. I hope you stay tuned and keep me on track. I need to make my big sister proud and I need to stop whining.

Tomorrow: Chicken Breasts stuffed with fontina, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes (from Bon Appetit)

No comments: